We all know that eating cleanly is one of the many not-so-secrets to longevity, but did you know that what we put on our bodies is just as important as what we put in our bodies? Skin—the body’s largest organ—absorbs 60% of everything we put on it! When I first started beauty blogging, I was pretty much oblivious to this – now I make much wiser purchasing decisions. I HIGHLY recommend looking up the toxicity of your current beauty products in the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database. If you come to discover your beloved x-y-z is tainted with nasty, fret not! There are plenty of natural non-toxic cosmetics and skincare brands, and there’s always the handy-dandy DIY beauty route, too!
In honor of it being Beauty Week at Whole Foods (WOOT!), I’ve swapped out a handful of conventional everyday beauty products (that I guiltily use) for more natural, non-toxic ones that can be found in Whole Food’s Whole Body department.
- LUSH’s Rose Jam shower gel (smells amazing but has parabens and artificial colors) → swapped for Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Castille Soap (contains super basic, wholesome ingredients)
- e.l.f. Essential Brightening Eye Color (contains parabens and artificial coloring… what do you expect for $1, right?) → swapped for Mineral Fusion mineral eyeshadow (all-natural)
- Pink Sugar perfume (smells like candy, but it’s far from natural… and it used to be pink! It has turned a funky brown shade over time – blech!) → swapped for Pacifica Island Vanilla perfume (vegan, gluten-free blend of natural and essential oils with zero artificial colors)
- Physician’s Formula powder foundation (contains PEG-12 and Disodium EDTA, along with a ton of ingredients I can barely pronounce) → swapped for super clean Zuzu Luxe dual powder foundation (offers full covers and contains all-natural ingredients)
- Pixi nail polish (3-free… not bad) → swapped for Mineral Fusion nail polish (5-free)
Have you made any vegan, cruelty-free, or all-natural beauty swaps lately?
About Sunny (Sunny's Profile)Longtime vegan, hardcore compassionate beauty junkie, serious cake aficionado, and lover of all things floofy and sparkly! If there's something in particular you'd like me to review, drop me a line at Sunny@VeganBeautyReview.com. You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Google +.
Filed in: Vegan Beauty