Warning: TMI alert.
I’ve been a die-hard fan of all-natural deodorant for years. Heck, I’ve even been making my own for the most part. Everything was all la-dee-da and grovy, until about six months ago when my arm pits freaked the F out on me. I was preggo at the time and thought maybe my hormones were to blame… my pits got majorly rashy, like, bright red and irritated. I googled my symptoms and came to the conclusion that I had fungus growing under there – fungus! Needless to say, I was pretty grodied out. I was shallacking anti-fungal cream on my pits like it was nobody’s business. After days of using that nasty ish, I was baffled as to why I was still rashtacular. I continued to google around and came up with the idea that maybe it was the deodorant I was using. I had been using an all-natural, baking soda based deodorant by a brand I absolutely adore. I decided to go without deodorant for an entire week as an experiment (I’m SO sorry Mr. VBR. Thank you for unconditionally loving your stanky beast of a wife!). Rash disappeared within a couple days. Thank DOG it wasn’t fungus! 😀
Boo, I guess I’ve developed a sensitivity to baking soda… only to years to come to that conclusion. Turns out the baking soda was throwing off my skin’s pH. Has anyone else experienced this?
Anywho, here are some rockstar, all-natural, vegan deodorants that are perfect for sensitive pits like mine!
5 Awesome Baking Soda-Free Natural Deodorants
- Bare Bones, $8- This is a GIANT tube of deodoro that will last you for quite some time.
Ingredients: *coconut oil, *lemon essential oil, *tea tree oil, candelilla wax, arrowroot powder, kaolin clay, shea butter (*organic)
- Meow Meow Tweet, $14- This is my fave of the bunch. It has the consistency of cake batter (easy to apply, although some might not like using their fingers for this), it smells incredibly tasty (citrusy yum-yum), and it lasts (f’reals)! I only need to apply this in the morning and I’m good to go for the whole day.
Ingredients: arrowroot powder, shea butter, magnesium hydroxide, *virgin coconut oil, *jojoba oil, *grapefruit essential oil, *bergamot essential oil, *sweet orange essential oil, *lemon essential oil (*organic)
- Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal, $4-7 – These are old-school, pure and simple. It’s amazing how straight up salt can do wonders at helping keep stank at bay.
Roll-on ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water), Natural Mineral Salts (Potassium Alum), Zinc Ricinoleate, Xanthan Gum, Chamomile Extract (Anthemis Nobilis Flower), Phenoxyethanol.
Stick ingredients: Natural Mineral Salts (Ammonium Alum), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Extract).
Spray ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water), Natural Mineral Salts (Potassium Alum)
- Zion Health Clay Dry Natural Roll-On, $8 – The essential oil blend of Ylang,Witch Hazel and Lavender minimizes and neutralizes odors naturally. You will need to reapply this every 2 to 4 hours for maxium results.
Ingredients: Montmorillonite Clay, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Lavender all plant essence, Calendula Extract, Alpine Lichen Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Chamomile Extract, hydrogenate Castor Oil, Allantoin, sacchromyees (from fermented black tea), phenoxyethanol from Rose Essence, Ethyl hexyl glycerin derivative of Coconut Oil, Essential Oil Blend (Lavender, Ylang, Lemon, Lime), cellulose gum, myrrh gum extract, Witch Hazel distillate, Purified Water
- If you’re looking to save money and make your own deodorant from scratch, try this awesome DIY baking soda-free deodorant recipe:
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder (antiperspirant)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (antibacterial and antifungal)
- 40 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial and antifungal)
- Add additional essential oils to scent as you please
What’s your favorite vegan deodorant? And if you have a baking soda sensitivity like I do, please share your experience with me below. xo
About Sunny (Sunny's Profile)Longtime vegan, hardcore compassionate beauty junkie, serious cake aficionado, and lover of all things floofy and sparkly! If there's something in particular you'd like me to review, drop me a line at Sunny@VeganBeautyReview.com. You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Google +.
Filed in: vegan personal items