So far on the blog, I’ve covered cruelty-free holiday gift ideas for the beauty gadget gurus & makeup and skincare junkies in your life, but don’t think I’ve forgotten about all of you compassionate, beloved bookworms! Here are a few of my favorite animal-friendly reads that I KNOW you and your peeps will ♥!
VBR’s 2014 Cruelty-Free Holiday Gift Guide: Books
- Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen – Chloe offers fresh vegan takes on classic Italian cuisine illustrated by gorgeous full-color photographs throughout, and her bright and lively personality on every page. Just peep the pics of people making her recipes on Instagram, and you’ll be sold!
- Forks Over Knives Plan – This cookbook shows you how to put this life-saving (and delicious) vegan diet into practice in your own life. This easy-to-follow, meal-by-meal makeover is the approach Doctors Alona Pulde and Matthew Lederman (featured in the documentary) use every day in their nutritional health practice—a clear, simple plan that focuses on hearty comfort foods and does not involve portion control or worrying about obtaining single nutrients like protein and calcium.
- Eat Clean Live Well – Terry Walters, a leader of the clean-food movement, came out with this amazing seasonal cookbook and lifestyle guide. Rediscover the unique tastes of spring, summer, fall and winter, and gain insight into everything from preserving the harvest to natural cleansing and tonics for immune support. Enjoy delicious gluten-free, vegan recipes that everyone will love including Grilled Avocado with Peach Tomato Salsa, Crunchy Quinoa and Cabbage Salad, and Coconut Cacao Energy Bars. YUM!
- Vegan for Fit & Vegan for Fun – Hildmann is truly a master of coming up with recipe ideas that even people with the most discerning palates are excited about. He is able to easily conjure up hearty flavors like those you are familiar with from meat. And his recipes are incredibly simple. Many of the recipes work well as snacks or for the office, and they’ll add healthy variety to your diet.
- Water Infusions – The natural and convenient way to add organic flavor to your water, infusion pitchers, and bottles just got kicked up a notch. Don’t limit yourself to just lemon or cucumber water—this book shows how easy it is to create a wide variety of uniquely delicious waters that can be healing, detoxifying, and refreshing.
- Homemade Beauty – This beautifully packaged collection of 150 all-natural skin, hair and body care recipes is such a fun read. Although the ingredients required for the beauty recipes aren’t 100% vegan, most of them are, and the ones that aren’t can be easily swapped out for vegan versions (i.e. soy yogurt for yogurt, agave for honey, candelilla wax for beeswax, etc.). From turning blueberries into a lush detoxifying mask to fresh lemongrass into a non-toxic bug repellent, Homemade Beauty takes the ubiquitous eat-local, farm-to-table concept and brings it to the beauty category.
- Crafting with Cat Hair – Are your favorite sweaters covered with cat hair? Do you love to make quirky and one-of-a-kind crafting projects? If so, then it’s time to throw away your lint roller and curl up with your kitty! Crafting with Cat Hair shows readers how to transform stray clumps of fur into soft and adorable handicrafts. From kitty tote bags and finger puppets to fluffy cat toys, picture frames, and more, these projects are cat-friendly, eco-friendly, and require no special equipment or training.
Do you have any vegan-friendly books on your holiday wish list? xx