I LOVE (like, überly love) smoothies! Lemme tell ya why: they’re a great way to start the day (I’m talkin’ easy-peasy meal in a glass); they can help curb evil sugar cravings; smoothies are a great way to sneak leafy greens and other healthy ish into your diet; and they are hella-hella refreshing (especially during these toasty-ass summery months). Next time you decide to whip up a smoothie, be sure to kick it up a notch with one (or all of these) potent superfood ingredients.
Top 10 Smoothie Boosters
- Coconut water – This is a good source of B vitamins and potassium. It also contains electrolytes, various plant hormones, enzymes, and amino acids.
- Wheat grass – It provides a concentrated amount of nutrients, including iron, calcium, magnesium, amino acids, chlorophyll, and vitamins A, C & E.
- Chlorella – This is great for weight control, cancer prevention, and immune system support.
- Spirulina – Spirulina, who I totally named one of my kitties after, contains vitamins B-1, B-2, B-3, B-6, B-9, vitamins C, D, A & E and is also a great source of potassium, calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium, and zinc. Yep, it’s BOMB.
- Acai – This anti-oxidant rich fruit has been heralded for hundreds of years as an immune stimulating, healing and energy boosting super berry.
- Chia seeds – These bad boys are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium.
- Hemp protein – This is one of the richest plant sources of protein, omega-fatty acids, and fiber.
- Maca – Maca helps the endocrine system and eases stress. It also energizes naturally, without the jitters and crashes of caffeine, and it can aid in reproductive function, helping to balance hormones and increase fertility. It’s also rich in anti-oxidants.
- Kale, spinach & chard – This is the perfect way to add some leafy greens into your diet. Throw in a handful for an immediate nutritional boost (iron, calcium, copper, potassium, manganese, phosphorus, and vitamins A, C, & K).
- Flax seeds – Here’s another great source of healthy Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids. Sers, there’s no need to eat stanky fish to getcho omegas!
Tell me what’s in your perfect power smoothie!
About Sunny (Sunny's Profile)Longtime vegan, hardcore compassionate beauty junkie, serious cake aficionado, and lover of all things floofy and sparkly! If there's something in particular you'd like me to review, drop me a line at Sunny@VeganBeautyReview.com. You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Google +.
Filed in: vegan food