Peeps, I know it seems crazy that I’m so militant about following this specific skincare regimen (and I really am, YOU MUST DO THESE THINGS IN THIS ORDER), but I swear, if you treat your skin with proper TLC, you’re gonna be stoked by the results in the long run (’cause we all wanna look like fine young homies when we’re 92). So if you’ve ever wondered whether you’re supposed to apply moisturizer before or after eye cream, or WTF serum is and when it’s best to slather that ish on your pretty lil’ mug, I’m here to help!
The Correct Order to Apply Your Skincare
- Makeup Remover – De-gunk dirt, oil, and makeup before even starting the cleansing process!
- Cleanser - Be sure to use a cleanser than suits your skin type (dry, oily, mature, etc.), and try to use products that don’t contain fragrance, parabens (and other potentially toxic preservatives), or harsh detergents that can be drying and counterproductive.
- Toner – Toners help restore your skin’s natural pH, and they are often mega hydrating and packed with active ingredients to treat and soothe skin.
- Zit Cream (if needed) – This part is self-explanatory.
- Serum - These quick-absorbing, nutrient-rich treatments usually come in gel form and typically cater to speciifc skin types (acne-prone, mature, dry, etc.).
- Eye Cream - I like to use a heavy duty eye cream under my eyes and around the outside corners where crow’s feet typically appear (←hopefully not for a very long time!)
- Moisturizer/Anti-Aging Oils - I like to use a light moisturizer for daytime and a thick-ass, mega rich and creamy moisturizer at night. Sometimes, I’ll just slather pure argan or marula oil on my face before bed… when I rock this style, I wake up with the softest, smoothest, yummiest skin ev-ah!
- Exfoliator/Scrub – A couple times a week you should exfoliate your skin using a good facial scrub to slough off dead skin cells.
- Face Mask – If you’re dealing with a bout of stubborn acne or if your skin in begging to be quenched with moisture, treat yourself to a a weekly mask. It’ll do your skin wonders, and it’s a nice spa-sy thing to do for yourself.
Do you have a favorite vegan and cruelty-free skincare product that you can’t live without? Let me know in the comments below!
Filed in: vegan skin care