I just started oil pulling recently as a way to bring in the new year with an all-natural, simple detox. It’s so easy and beneficial to oil-pull, I felt it was my duty to help spread the word.
First thing’s first, WTF is oil pulling? Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic practice used to improve overall health that involves swishing around a tiny bit of pure coconut oil in your mouth right after you wake up for 15-20 minutes. You may be grodied out by the thought of that much oil in your mouth at once (not quite as enjoyable as eating a tub of French fries), but TRUST, the results are well worth it if you keep it up for at least a few weeks.
Top 10 Benefits of Oil Pulling
- Brighter and whiter teeth
- Healthier gums
- Better breath
- Clearer skin (can eliminate skin conditions such as eczema or acne)
- Increased energy
- Clearer sinuses and alleviated allergies
- Migraine relief
- Better sleep
- Regulated menstrual cycles
- Improved PMS symptoms
How to Oil Pull
- Oil pulling should be done on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning.
- Take 1 tablespoon of cold-pressed, raw coconut oil in your mouth, and gently swish it around for up to 20 minutes (don’t swallow any!).
- After you spit the oil out, brush your teeth.
This is a mega simple, affordable, and effective way to detox your body naturally. I’ve only been oil pulling for a week, and I seem to have a bit more energy and my teeth already look brighter.
Have you tried oil pulling? What’s been your experience so far?
Filed in: vegan lifestyle