Yay, the 21-Day Sugar Detox is successfully under way!
Holy balls, week one was intense! I felt like I was detoxing from crack!!
Things I noshed on (or drank) when the sweet cravings kicked in:
- Fruit smoothies (my fave recipe here)
- Ella’s Nibbly Fingers (I just happened to have these baby treats laying around, but the ingredients are totally sugar-free)
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (I read labels like a mad woman trying to find a jelly that was essentially just fruit – harder than it sounds!)
- Homemade banana ice cream (frozen bananas, cocoa powder, peanut butter)
- Coconut water
- Lulu’s Raw Chocolate (daaaaayum, this stuff saved me from throwing in the towel)
- PÜR xylitol-sweetened gum
- Lärabar (especially the Peanut Butter Cookie ones!)
Products I was surprised to find almost always contain sugar:
- Crackers (all the tasty ones have sugar, so I settled for some bland-ass whackers to go with my vegan cheese)
- Gardein (all of their products)… can you believe this sh*t!? This was a major bummer.
- My beloved Fried Japanese Rice from the frozen section of Trader Joe’s. Major womp.
- Pasta sauce (I did find a sugar-free version at TJ’s, though)
- Salad Dressing (Goddess Dressing is thankfully sugar-free). PHEW!
- Tons of raw desserts and energy bars containing agave. I know it seems like agave is some healthy ish, but it’s actually EVIL.
- Cereal (even Rasin Bran, y’all!). I’ve yet to find a sugar-free cereal – HALP!
- Non-dairy yogurt
Helpful sugar-free resources:
- The Beauty Detox Foods book – I frequently turn to the section explaining how sugar feeds cancer cells and causes wrinkles; this definitely helps me stay on track!
- VBR’s Sugar-Free Vegan Pinterest board
- This post containing 141 reasons sugar will ruin your health.
How are y’all holding up? What have you been snacking on in your moments of weakness?
About Sunny (Sunny's Profile)Longtime vegan, hardcore compassionate beauty junkie, serious cake aficionado, and lover of all things floofy and sparkly! If there's something in particular you'd like me to review, drop me a line at Sunny@VeganBeautyReview.com. You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Google +.
Filed in: vegan lifestyle