Yay, the 21-Day Sugar Detox is successfully under way!
Holy balls, week one was intense! I felt like I was detoxing from crack!!
Things I noshed on (or drank) when the sweet cravings kicked in:
- Fruit smoothies (my fave recipe here)
- Ella’s Nibbly Fingers (I just happened to have these baby treats laying around, but the ingredients are totally sugar-free)
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (I read labels like a mad woman trying to find a jelly that was essentially just fruit – harder than it sounds!)
- Homemade banana ice cream (frozen bananas, cocoa powder, peanut butter)
- Coconut water
- Lulu’s Raw Chocolate (daaaaayum, this stuff saved me from throwing in the towel)
- PÜR xylitol-sweetened gum
- Lärabar (especially the Peanut Butter Cookie ones!)
Products I was surprised to find almost always contain sugar:
- Crackers (all the tasty ones have sugar, so I settled for some bland-ass whackers to go with my vegan cheese)
- Gardein (all of their products)… can you believe this sh*t!? This was a major bummer.
- My beloved Fried Japanese Rice from the frozen section of Trader Joe’s. Major womp.
- Pasta sauce (I did find a sugar-free version at TJ’s, though)
- Salad Dressing (Goddess Dressing is thankfully sugar-free). PHEW!
- Tons of raw desserts and energy bars containing agave. I know it seems like agave is some healthy ish, but it’s actually EVIL.
- Cereal (even Rasin Bran, y’all!). I’ve yet to find a sugar-free cereal – HALP!
- Non-dairy yogurt
Helpful sugar-free resources:
- The Beauty Detox Foods book – I frequently turn to the section explaining how sugar feeds cancer cells and causes wrinkles; this definitely helps me stay on track!
- VBR’s Sugar-Free Vegan Pinterest board
- This post containing 141 reasons sugar will ruin your health.
How are y’all holding up? What have you been snacking on in your moments of weakness?
Filed in: vegan lifestyle