I’ve been vegan for 13 years (my veganversary is this April, so hold off on buying me congratulatory Go Max Go candy bars… Actually, you can go ahead and send ‘em my way!). Every time I’ve gotten my blood work done at the dr’s office (every few years out of curiosity), I’ve had normal/awesome results (including B12, vitamin D, iron levels, etc.). I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but being vegan has made me a healthy, foin thang without even trying. I seldom take vitamins (I took prenatals while pregs, though), because I know I’m eating wholesome, nutrient-rich foods daily (everything I eat is plant-based). Ironically, many people who wonder how I can even survive on a vegan diet, are ones who frequent fast-food joints and drink soda like it’s candy.
I became a mama in July, to a healthy, beautiful, vegan (since conception) baby boy. Again, not to toot my own horn… Actually to toot is quite loudly TOOT TOOT!, I had a super chill, amazing, healthy home birth. I can’t help but attribute my wonderful birthing experience, in part, to my being a long-time vegan.
Honey BooBoo is now almost 8 months and is still exclusively breastfed, but not for long. I’ve already decided his first grub is gonna be a delicious, ripe, organic avocado (I may even use the leftovers for a face mask – we shall see).
Will I ever introduce mushy meaty baby food into my babe’s culinary repertoire? Hells to the no times infinity +4! Here’s why:
- Meat = murder (I think Morrissey would agree). I wanna take my little man to Farm Sanctuary so he can actually meet cows, pigs, and chickens. I want him to connect with animals and realize they are sentient beings like us.
- Meat contains cholesterol. I don’t want my munchkin man consuming bad cholesterol. Duh, right?
- Meat often contains antibiotics, hormones, heavy metals, ammonia, etc. Nn nn, not feeding those to Big D!
- Meat can expose children to nasty, harmful bacteria (e.g. E. coli, listeria, campylobacter, etc.).
- A plant-based diet will help ward off future obesity. It’s not like there are vegan fast-food joints everywhere serving up fried nasties. Mah boy’s gonna love his greens, I know it!
- Eating meat is bad for the environment. ←Clickity clack!
Are you raising a vegan baby? Are you thinking about going vegan for your pregnancy? Please share your thoughts! xx