I’d like to preface this post by stating that there’s nothing awesome about shoving a chemically bleached, pointy wad of cotton up your vadge to collect Aunt Flo’s messy situation. Bleach aside, tampons harbor bacteria (which can lead to toxic shock syndrome!) and they are often culprits of embarrassing leaks and funkadelic odors.
Ever since my homegirl Christy opened my eyes to the wonderful world of menstrual cups, I have ditched tampons for good (even the organic cotton ones!). Menstrual cups are made from medical-grade silicone that you insert into your hoo-ha to collect your monthliness. I’m personally hooked on the brand Lunette. They kick ass for many reasons—checkity-check check it:
- They are easy to use – You just fold the cup in half length-wise and insert; you won’t even feel it once it’s in place.
- They are hygienic and safe – These cups don’t absorb moisture nor do they encourage bacteria to party it up in your nether region.
- They’ll save you mad chedda, yo – The average woman spends between $48-84 per year on disposable tampons and pads. Wouldn’t you rather spend that $$ on weekly vegan donuts and hot cocoa? Thought so.
- They are eco-friendly – A single cup will last you for decades!
- They can be worn for up to 12 hours – That’s such a huge chunk of time, you can just pretend that you’re not even on your period!
- You won’t smell like tuna—ever, because your flo only stanks when the blood gets oxygenated. So… since that never happens (the goo stays inside the cup inside your body), you won’t smell like a fish factory. Amen!
- Bonus: Lunette comes in two different sizes and four pretty colors (they have a clear one, too). I chose the coral one. 🙂
Do you use menstrual cups? Would you ever try them? What’s your favorite brand?
About Sunny (Sunny's Profile)Longtime vegan, hardcore compassionate beauty junkie, serious cake aficionado, and lover of all things floofy and sparkly! If there's something in particular you'd like me to review, drop me a line at Sunny@VeganBeautyReview.com. You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Google +.
Filed in: vegan personal items