Last week I had a mexican fiesta in my hair!
Okay not really, but kinda. You see, I recently discovered an extremely simple yet highly effective vegan hair paste that I absolutely LOVE!
The first time I applied it, it felt like I had just replaced my hair with that of a Unicorn’s, that’s how smooth it felt. I never used to be into hair pastes or masks, but now I can’t imagine living my life without them.
I’ve tried my fair share, but this avocado and lemon hair paste is by far my favorite.
Here’s What You’ll Need
All but one of these ingredients you should be able to find from your local supermarket, the other you can be sure to find from a natural food store. Considering how much of each ingredient you need to use for this paste, it’s only going to cost you less than $5 to make. Boooonus!
Gather up the following:
- 1 avocado (ripe) - Avocados contain essential omega fats that our hair can use to replenish broken follicles, restoring them back to their previous healthy state.
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice (use a real lemon) - In case you didn’t know, lemon juice has an uncanny ability to create a mammoth amount of shine that’ll have you literally blinding those Pantene girls!
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt (DON’T use table salt) - Ever been to a day at the beach and after a shower loved the way your hair was all wavy and sassy? Well it’s all got to do with salt baby! Sea salt contains vital minerals that help build new proteins used to strengthen individual hair cells.
- 1 tablespoon of aloe juice or gel (I extract it from my own aloe plant) - The aloe in this paste is going to supply our hair with a serious amount of moisture, helping to provide your individual hair cells with a better environment of which to replenish and grow new cells. ie. aloe vera helps your hair grow longer!!
Making The Paste
It’s a really easy recipe to put together. All you need is a bowl and a fork and you’re ready to go. Just follow these instructions to prepare your paste:
Step One: Split your avocado in half and mash it up into your bowl using a fork.
Step Two: Cut a lemon in half and squeeze about a tablespoon into the bowl.
Step Three: Add in a teaspoon of sea salt.
Step Four: Lastly add in your aloe gel and stir the mixture using your fork until it looks nice and pasty.
The lemon juice should help preserve the avocado for about a day or two, but you should try and apply your paste as quickly as possible.
How To Apply The Avocado And Lemon Hair Paste
- The first thing you need to do is dampen your hair a little. Make sure it’s not drenched as that will prevent the ingredients from being absorbed properly.
- If you can find a willing girlfriend it will help a lot, but if not you should be able to do it yourself. Literally just use your hands and run the paste all through your hair, making sure you don’t miss a spot. It’s going to feel kinda gross, but trust me the final product is so worth it! If you have long hair, you may want to double the recipe to ensure you have enough.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes before washing off with water. Leave it for a further 2-3 hours before using shampoo and conditioner so that the ingredients have time to properly absorb into your hair.
I honestly think you’re going to love this paste and best of all it’s so incredibly cheap!
All that’s left to say is START MASHING!
This was a guest post by Vanessa Roberts, a skin care blogger who is all about DIY tips and tricks. She and her team are doing great things over at TopBeautyBrands.com, starting a movement towards all natural DIY beauty solutions as well as offering honest reviews on all the popular products.