Natural sunscreens have become increasingly popular in recent years, creating a much bigger selection for vegans. Dermatologists often recommend broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) protection of at least SPF 30 for daily wear, though SPF 15 is usually fine for those who aren’t outside for more than 20 minutes on a typical day. Read on for products that are cruelty-free and can help save your skin from the sun.
Daily sunscreen formulas are usually in liquid or powder form. Liquid can often be more moisturizing, while powders are very versatile and have no distinctive fragrance. Recommended products include:
- La Vanila The Healthy Sun Screen SPF 40 – A moisturizing sunscreen with broad spectrum coverage. Can also double as a primer for foundation.
- Alba Botanica Pure Lavendar Sunblock SPF 45 – A more traditional liquid sunscreen, this broad-spectrum formula smells of lavender and is affordable.
- Jane Iredale Powder Me SPF 30 – Recommended by the skin cancer foundation, this powdered sunscreen is available in translucent and tanned.
- bareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen – Provides broad spectrum coverage in powdered form. Available in lightly tinted powders for light, medium, and dark skin tones.
Makeup with Sunscreen
If you’d rather have a separate sunscreen for your face, consider a foundation or tinted moisturizer with SPF. Just don’t forget to cover exposed skin such as you ears, neck, and hands with a regular sunscreen. Try these cosmetics with SPF:
- Gabriel Moisturizing Liquid Foundation SPF 18 – A fantastic liquid foundation that comes in a variety of colors. This line is particularly good for those with very fair, cool skin tones.
- Jane Iredale Liquid Minerals Foundation – Another good liquid foundation that contains broad spectrum SPF 20. It comes in a pump that breaks apart beads as it is dispensed, blend well for a natural look.
- Physician’s Formula Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer – An affordable, sheer foundation with SPF 15. Generally works best for dry to normal skin types.
- Jane Iredale Amazing Base or Pure Pressed Base Foundation – Two powder foundations with SPF 20. The amazing base has heavier coverage than the pressed base.
Guest post by make-up artist Kaylin Johnson of Kaylin’s Kit.
About Sunny (Sunny's Profile)Longtime vegan, hardcore compassionate beauty junkie, serious cake aficionado, and lover of all things floofy and sparkly! If there's something in particular you'd like me to review, drop me a line at Sunny@VeganBeautyReview.com. You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Google +.
Filed in: vegan personal items