Eeks, being the compassionate beauty junkie that I am, I am embarrassed to say that I had no idea that the agua I used to wash my hair and my face was tainted with mega nastiness! I mean, I knew there was chlorine in my water, but I didn’t really think about it… until recently (which is retardisimo because I totally use a Brita filter for my drinking water, so hello!).
Seriously, for the longest time, I’ve been wondering why my hair is always dry and crustatious. I use thick, for-dry-and-damaged-hair conditioners, I don’t wash my hair every day (sometimes I go 3-4 days w/o washing, even), I use leave-in conditioners… bottom line: I am good to my hair, so WTF!?
Well it turns out, chlorine strips away the oils that are naturally present in your hair and skin. It’s also stinky and can cause respiratory problems from breathing it in while showering.
So, true story, I decided to try a water filer in my shower (I chose the Sprite Pure Spray 8 Filtered Shower Head from AllFilters.com, $44.99) to see if this would have any effect at all or if it was all hoola hoopla… Turns out, filtering my water is one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself. And in case you’re wondering, these filters don’t have to cost a fortune, and you’ll start seeing results immediately.
So, here’s my quickie list of why I insist you hook yourself up with some kind of water filter.
- The water will feel softer, smells better (no more metalic-y or chlorine stankies)
- You’ll have softer, healthier skin and hair
- More specifically, your skin and scalp will retain more natural moisture
- Color-treated hair won’t fade as fast
- You’ll have improved lathering and sudsing
- Most of these filters are super easy to install (less than 10 minutes)
- They are also really affordable (the one I use is only $45)
If you’ve experienced the awesomeness of de-chlorinated showers, please share your stories with me!
Filed in: Allfilters.com