Let’s talk hair color! Whether you’re looking to cover up some grays or funk it up a bit, cruelty-free hair dyes are definitely on the market. Although I wish this list were longer, I’m grateful that we at least have a handful of options (if you can think of more, please share in the comments).
- Herbatint (~$14): If you’re interested in switching to a hair color that’s less harsh (fewer chemicals, no ammonia, paraben-free), balanced with plant extracts and herbs, you should give Herbatint a whirl. They have all the basic shades in permanent and semi and a couple earthy, edgier shades too. I’ve been ogling this particular one… so pretty!
- Manic Panic ($12): Whether you’re looking to explore your funky wild side with some hot pink luscious locks (I so rocked this in high school and college) or looking for a simpler (and more conventional) brown or black, Manic Panic’s got you covered. Their line of semi-permanent hair color doesn’t contain ammonia or peroxide, and it actually leaves your hair feeling healthier.
- Special Effects Hair Dyes ($14.65): I ♥ Special Effects hair dye! This stuff has wicked staying power, and they carry all the same types of cray-cray colors that Manic Panic does. One day, hopefully sooner than later, I plan on Cupcake Pink-ing it up—it’s deliciously gorge!
- LUSH ($22.95): Looking for totally natural, plant-based henna color? LUSH carries henna bars in red, brown, and black tones.
- Aubrey Color Me Natural ($13.33): Available shades include dark brown and mahogany, and these dyes are free of phenylenediamine, coal tar dyes, and synthetic chemicals of any kind.
- Paul Mitchell Ink Works – Available at Paul Mitchell salons and beauty supply stores.
- Daniel Field (£7.85): Available in a variety of shades, all organic, and mineral-based.
- Sante Herbal Hair Colors ($12.50): Free from synthetic colorants, fragrance and preservatives. Vegan plant powder with organic henna extract.
If you prefer going to a salon, try these:
What’s you favorite vegan-friendly hair dye?
Filed in: vegan hair care