Let’s just say that when it comes to shaving, ya girl isn’t always on top of things. When it’s cold out I’ll let my leg hair grow to extreme lengths and I DON’T CARE. I think it’s important to remember that choosing to shave your legs should be decision based solely on your own wishes—never feel like you have to shave because you’re a woman or because you think that if your legs are hairy men won’t find you attractive (so not true by the way, my boo can get down with hairy or smooth leggies, he doesn’t care!).
With that being said, if you’re a lady who likes to keep your gams silky smooth, then I have something exciting for you! Whish Body Care offers an auh-mazing shaving cream that protects from razor bumps and irritation and leaves your legs feeling awesomely smooth and soft. If you’re anything like me, though, the day after shaving your legs are already prickly and not-so-soft-and-sexy anymore—don’t fret! Whish also makes this fantastic hair-inhibiting product that slows the growth of hair follicles and keeps your legs hairless longer!
These actually work. And I know they sound a bit scary—anything that interferes with the processes my body produces naturally frightens me a little, but don’t worry! The ingredient that inhibits hair growth is Chaparral Extract which is an all-natural herb, and is totally safe for your skin. Overall, this product is pretty clean and safe and it works, so give it a try!
What’s your favorite vegan shaving cream?
Hello, my lovies! It’s getting warm out, the sun is starting to shine, clothes are coming off, and skin is, err… well, it needs some attention!
Thankfully, North Coast Organics has some awesome spray lotion (which is appropriately named Untitled) that soothes and moisturizes all while being in a convenient little spray bottle. I think this is perfect for the hotter months, because I don’t always want to lather a thick, heavy cream all over my skin when I’m sweating like a whore on Sunday. I can just spray this delectable mist all ovah my body and it feels oh-so-good.
Remember how much I adore this company? All of their products are organic, vegan, and handmade, which means they’re basically the sh*t. AND they actually work. Their packaging is super cute and the product descriptions are super clever and witty, which I can definitely appreciate.
If you haven’t already, I HIGHLY recommend you try their deodorant. Not only is super cute, good for your skin, and affordable, it is the best deodorant I’ve ever tried—and I’ve tried a lot.
So to prepare for the sweltering months ahead, I think you should get in on the North Coast Organics goodies. These are going to be your ultimate weapons when battling dry skin and stinky pits this summer!
To enter to win “Untitled” by North Coast Organics, simply “like” North Coast Organics on Facebook and comment below and tell me about your favorite vegan lotion. All entrants must be residents of the US to enter to win. Two winners will be chosen at random and notified on May 21, 2013! Good luck! xx
Um… prolly! *whippin’ out the puke baggies*
Brands like NARS, L’Oréal, Cover Girl, Revlon—even Burt’s Bees (gasp, or maybe not so gaspy seeing that they’re now owned by Clorox) contain this toxic, NASTenstein ingredient.
Yep, I was reading all the deets about the FDA’s 2012 list of most lead-laden lipsticks on Mother Jones, and I freaked the F out! Turns out a lot of these cosmetics also contain additional evil ingredients like aluminum, cadmium, chromium, and manganese. And doooood, the average woman eats about six (!!!) pounds of lipstick during her lifetime… makes me wanna just pinch my lips for color, na mean?
Um, so why the f*ck isn’t the FDA protecting our sexy-ass lips?
Mother Jones sums it up like-a-so:
Though the agency regulates how much of these substances can be in pigment, strangely, it hasn’t specified how much metal overall is allowed in the tube of lipstick. And the FDA itself doesn’t even test the dozens of dyes used in cosmetics or set the maximum amounts of metals in them; it outsourced that job years ago to the Cosmetic Ingredient Review, an organization established in 1976 by a cosmetics-industry-aligned trade and lobbying group. Over the years, the CIR has banned 22 chemicals outright. For comparison, the EU currently bans more than 1,300 chemicals.
Bottom line: Buy super pure, vegan, organic, cruelty-free lippies; DIY it up; move to the U.K. , or ditch lip color altogether and go au naturale.
You know how your skin looks after you get a full on 10 hours of sleep? Me neither. I have a kid. I haven’t slept in 3 ½ years + 9 mos. But guess what? Thanks to Mineral Fusion we can fake it! This shizzy is fo reazzie. They are on a Mineral Mission and by sharing the “uniquely beneficial power of minerals to your skin,” I reckon they’re accomplishing it.
Check it out:
- Parabens, talc, artificial colors, synthetic fragrances? Oh, HELLZ NAH. Copper, Zinc, Magnesium? WORD UP!
- Made in China and tested on animals? How dare you?! Mineral Fusion is cruelty-free of course and keeping j.o.b.s. in the U.S.A. Some of their products are even handmade!
- They are so into being responsible that they even “utilize wind power, soy inks, packaging from recycled materials and packaging that is recyclable.” C’mon now. That’s just friggin rad.
They have a shit ton of products ranging from nail polish (bomb ass color selection-Fiery Lava anyone?) to accessories (Smokey Eye Kit with directions for make-up idiots like me) and everything in between. Now I didn’t get to try all of their stuff (they do have a lot!), but what I did try is dope. My skin drank it up the way my mouth guzzles well-drinks at happy hour and if you know me, you know that ain’t no joke.
- Hydration Mist - I have always loved the idea of these little cans of water and knowing how awesome Mineral Fusion is as a company, it was my honor to pull this puppy out of my bag in public and mist my face with it like some rich bitch. But that’s just my style. On the rilla, this little mister is an awesome mineral packed skin-thirst quencher and feels super refreshing when I sprayed my dehydrated mug.
- Mattifying Oil Control Facial Mosturizer - Holy shit balls, did I fall in love with this stuff! The smell alone had me at hello. I LOATHE artificial fragrance and this stuff has only the real deal. Lavender, calendula, cucumber and a bunch of other NATURAL ingredients had me dabbing this shizzle behind my ears! Seriously. I was sold on it from the smell alone. Little did I know how incredible it made my skin look and feel. It’s lightweight hydration feels so smooth going on I like to call it the Barry White of moisturizers. Put it on morning and night and it immediately clocks in working to renew cells. Not a wee bit greasy either!
- Nothing like a thick layer of face lube to ruin day. That’s why Mineral Fusion’s little blotting papers are so rad. They are packaged in a cute a little envelope and will easily hide in your purse. Pull one out, rub it across your forehead and in the creases of your nose and you’re all of sudden shine free! And it is super fun to look at the greasy excrement you wiped off (you know you love doing that kind of shit too!). I’m so stoked to have these so I can finally stop using the public bathroom ass gaskets to swipe away my sheen. Pulling that thing out at my weekly “Ladies who Lunch” soiree was getting old.
This Mineral Fusion stuff is the real deal. Buy it at the store (their site tells you where it’s available) or order it online. Spend $50 and it ships for free! I don’t care how you get it, just get it and “rock” on with your bad self (Get it? “Rock” as in mineral? Oh, shut up. I running on 5 hours of shitty sleep, but you’d never know it by looking at me!).
Nothing wrong faking it. Did it 3 ½ + 9 mos ago.
This is a guest post by Tiffany of www.crueltyfreemoms.com. She’s all about her boy Zeke, her pooch The Gronz, veganism, punk, metal, and Prince. Not necessarily in that order.
Root Science is a vegan and cruelty-free skincare line that’s all about “caring and respecting the outside of our bodies as much as we do the inside.” Our skin is our body’s largest organ, and it absorbs 60% of everything we put on it, so using ingredients that are organic, pure, and natural totally makes sense. I’ve reviewed a lot of skincare lines on VBR, but as I get older and more mature, I’ve learned to stay away from fillers, artificial ingredients, and toxic preservatives. Now, I tend to gravitate to beauty products that contain minimal, yet purposeful ingredients like Root Science.
A few things you should know about Root Science…
- Everything is 100% organic.
- Products are nutrient-dense and packed with superfood ingredients.
- All oils are cold-pressed to retain nutrients.
- Everything is handcrafted in small batches
- Products are free of artificial ingredients, petroleum, sulfates, detergents, synthetic preservatives, artificial colors or fragrances, and GMOs.
- Their packaging is classic and beautiful – will look pretty on you bathroom counter.
I highly recommend their RS Starter Kit, $99. This kit includes an RS Beauty Bar (gentle, for all skin types), RS Facial Scrub (gentle and yummy-smelling), and choice of daily facial moisturizer (I obvi got the RS Youth Serum, and I’m SO into it! – I’m always on a mission to combat wrinkless and have smooth, flawless skin). Like I said earlier, the ingredients are super basic (and highly effective). See for yourself!
RS Beauty Bar: Saponified organic oils of palm, coconut, olive and palm kernel, butyrospermum parkii (organic shea) butter, calendula officinalis (organic calendula) flower extract, rosmarinus officinalis (organic rosemary) leaf extract
RS Facial Scrub: Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), prunus dulcis (organic almond) meal, citrus sinensis (organic orange) peel, maranta arundinacea (organic arrowroot) root, mentha spicata (organic spearmint) leaf
RS Youth Serum: Helianthus annuus (organic sunflower) oil, simmondsia chinensis (organic jojoba) oil, hippophae rhamnoides (organic sea buckthorn) oil, calophyllum inophyllum (organic tamanu) oil, cucurbita pepo (organic pumpkin) seed oil, helichrysum italicum (organic helichrysum) essential oil, lavandula angustifolia (organic lavender) essential oil, mixed tocohperol (natural, non-GMO vitamin E)
Bottom line: If you’re used to using conventional beauty products, it’s time to detox your skin—naturally! And if you stick with these quality, pure products, you’ll notice a smoother, clearer, and brighter complexion (drinking lots of water, and eating wholesome plant- based foods helps, too).
Do you have a fave all-natural beauty routine?
Okay, “rave” is a serious understatement. I am beyond ridiculously insanely mega hardcore blown away by this new beauty line!
- Acure uses the purest, most natural, organic, plant-based, fair trade ingredients (free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, petrochemicals, and animal by-products).
- They are a cruelty-free brand, and all of their products are vegetarian (most of their products are vegan, so def check ingredients).
- They are doing good for the planet! They’ve planted over 20,000 trees and continue to do so; their office and manufacturing are 100% solar and wind-powered; their products are 100% biodegradable; bottles are recycled HDPE, PET, or glass (recyclable, food safe and 100% BPA-free).
- Their products are effective with clinically-driven results!
- ^^ They use potent ingredients like Chlorella Growth Factor (please read about this OMG-ingredient here) and organic superfruits and herbs like acai, pomegranate, blackberry, rosehips, and rooibos. (←♥ ♥ ♥)
- Their products are affordable. I see similar types of cleansers, creams, masks, etc., selling for close to $50 sometimes… and if Acure wanted to go this route, I wouldn’t blame them. Almost everything is under $20! That gives me extra spending $$ to treat myself to other stuff like chocolate, vegan marshies, cupcakes… you get the picture!
Okay, now I’m in love with all—seriously all—of the products I’ve tried, but I want to highlight a few that you HAVE to buy RIGHT NOW, because they are that THE BOMB.
- Facial Cleansing Creme Argan Oil + Mint, $14.99: I feel like this is the only facial cleanser I’ll ever use for the rest of my life—it’s THAT good! It contains organic olive oil, Moroccan argan oil, Cocoa Butter, blackberry, rosehips, and my favorite essential oil, mint. It’s gentle, ever so slightly tingly, it removes makeup, and it doesn’t dry out my skin… smells friggin’ good, too!
- Mandarin Orange + Moroccan Argan Stem Cell Advanced Triple Moisture Body Lotion, $9.99: First of all, this is a supa good deal for a large 7 oz container of fancy pantsy lotion that contains an “Advanced Triple Moisture System of Organic Argan Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, and Organic Olive Oil”… yeah, and they don’t even mention that this is a water-free product (so you’re gettin’ mad bang for your buck). Water is a filler ingredient found in 99% of all lotions (f’reals, go check!). This lotion smells yummy, it packs a punch, it’s easy on the wallet, and it’s super hydrating. Love.
- Hair Mask Moisturizing Root Repair Argan Stem Cell + Mint Deep Conditioning, $14.99: “Nourishing Argan oil and CoQ10, make this an acidifying treatment that will protect the hair cortex, locking in moisture and color, while Argan stem cells dive into the follicle to strengthen, nourish and regenerate hair at the root.” ← Is it me, or does this sound like a sci-fi plot to an awesome hair movie? PLEASE, take my ass to planet Argan!! My hair is one deep-fried, crusty-ass mess. It’s mega bleached and bright pink! This mask done did save my hair’s life. Seriously, if you wanna flip out on amazeballs awesomeness, try this out! And when you’re done using this, be sure to use this ↓!
- Leave-in Conditioner Argan Oil + Argan Stem Cell, $9.99: I used this back-to-back with the hair mask so I honestly don’t know which product is more the bomb, because they both made my mop hella manageable—which is a miracle! I didn’t even have to actively brush my hair. I sat the brush at the top of my scalp like I was about to brush it, and it just magically glided through my hairsies like it was someone else’s head! This NEVER happens. This leave-in conditioner is intensely hydrating and contains Moroccan Argan Oil and Argan Stem Cells (fancitude for the follicles).
I wish I could go into detail with my experience with each product, but I’d prolly sound redundant, as I’m in love with them all! You know how when you see cute, squishy babies, you just wanna eat them? (this is a daily thing for me) Well, I heart Acure SO much that I wanna eat everything they make! …gnaw, chew, munch, violently masticate, what have you. SO INTO THIS SHIT. Get on board (you can find these goodies at Whole Foods), and lemme know what you think! xoxo
I’ve hearted MyChelle beauty products since the inception of VBR (2007—can you believe that shit?! :’) My baby’s growing up!). Not every product in MyChelle’s line is vegan, but the ones that are, are truly dee-licious!
Two MyChelle products I’m currently gaga over are the Fruit Fiesta Peel ($28.39) and the Apple Brightening Mist ($16.69)—both anti-aging wonders (imagine that… Dude, if I can’t have a time machine, you know I’m gonna slather youth-enhancing goodies on mah face every chance I get!).
Let’s talk about this peel for a sec. I’m sold on the name alone. I’m very much into fruit fiestas, whether they be in my face or on my face. This vegan formula contains 7% lactic acid (which supports youthful collagen), alpha-hydroxy acids up the yin-yang, and it’s chock-full of yummy, natural ingredients. I know it truly works because I can actually feel a tingling sensation on my face when I use it. If you’re using a “peel” and you don’t feel a damn thing, throw it in the trash and get your money back. Amazing peels should tingle a bit (nothing cray, should be on the subtle side). I use this fruit fiesta before my nighttime siesta once a week. My skin feels fresh and has a kickass glow when I rock this ish.
OK, moving on to the Apple Brightening Mist. It smells like a delicious, ripe-ass apple orchard. LOVES it!! If you have blotchy, uneven skin tone, age spots, etc. (DAMN the sun… I don’t even care that my name is Sunny! The sun can be a d*ck!), this is gonna be your new BFF. Use this as you would a toner (morning and night, after washing your gorgeous face). Magical ingredients in the mist: Applephenon, rich in high ORAC antioxidants; Belides Daisy Flower which brightens and evens skin tone; and antioxidant super fruits like Acai and Mangosteen which repair, protect, and strengthen the skin. Worrrd!
Which MyChelle beauty products are your fave?
I just finished reading POWER VEGAN: Plant-Fueled Nutrition for Maximum Health and Fitness by Rea Frey (vegan nutrition specialist, sports trainer, and hottie boombalottie), and lemme just say, I (belly jigglies and all) am INSPIRED! The book covers everything! You could be an omni/vegan/raw vegan/breathatarian/whatevs, and this book is going to motivate you to get active, eat mega healthy, and patiently wait for your 6-pack to make its way through the layers of squishy, cute love handles.
This is not a diet book! Frey makes it clear that it’s not about limiting what you eat, but rather adding wholesome, nutritious, plant-based foods into your diet that you love and make you feel goooood. She covers such an array of information, questions, and concerns—it’s redonk! For example, she lists common excuses for eating poorly—all of which I’m guilty of (and I’m vegan already!), and she adresses how to overcome any challenges (laziness, lack of will power, not knowing how to cook, not wanting to spend too much $$ on grub, etc.). Frey also includes easy 30-minutes-or-less recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts (!!!), and snacks. Get this, she even provides sample meal plans for people with allergies and food aversions (e.g. soy, gluten, nuts, etc.).
Like I said, I’m already a vegan (and have been since dinosaurs roamed the earth), yet I learned SO much (and got a nice refresher on a bunch of stuff, too—like best food sources for omegas, Vitamin D, B12, iron, calcium, etc.). There’s also a section in the back of the book with workout plans/basic exercises (with pics)—which is great for novices like myself who have a difficult time knowing where to start… all’s I know is that I want a delicious booty, an 18-pack, and no more muffin top!
I’m seriously stoked on this book. Starting today, I’m gonna detox from sugar (please pray for me), cook from scratch and incorporate a shit ton of superfoods (spirulina, chlorella, nutritional yeast, coconut water, etc.), get my arse on the treadmill and sweat until I produce 15 gallons of salt water, de-stress, meditate, and reap the benefits of being vegan and healthy. Who wants to join me?
Y’all know I’m the world’s biggest sugar fiend, right? SUGAR is my mojo, and I ain’t ashamed. Up until now, I thought Go Max Go was the only company hookin’ it up with vegan milk chocolate wonders, saving us from typical, boring, accidentally vegan, 70% dark chocolate blahsies that we all pretend to get excited about… but then I found out that the chocolatiers at Sjaak’s are giving vegan sugar addicts like me even more reasons to be giddy and squee-y with joy over to-die-for confections!!
I got to experience Sjaak’s vegan chocolate this past week (how on Earth did I not know about these chocolate gods until now?!?), and I was SO blown away that I seriously almost cried. :’) I definitely had a chocolate spiritual awakening. Sjaak’s not only makes insanely numsy vegan chocolate (we’re talkin’ caramels, truffles, peanut butter blissful bites, etc.), but everything is organic, and totally affordable! Sers, if I weren’t already married, I’d SO marry these chocolates, so we could be bound fo’ life!
Now lemme tell you about some of my new sugary BFFs:
Organic Fair Trade Vegan European Chocolate Assortment, $9.95: Dudes, stop buying your boo thangs flowers on holidays and birthdays. Flowers wilt and die (not romantic), and those flowers belong with their flower parents in the earth anyway. Instead, hook yo’ ladies up with some foin-ass, delectable, dairy-free chocolates that will make her tastebuds breakdance in delight. This sampler box is so BOMB; I totally scarfed it down in one sitting! Every chocolate in this box is uh-ma-zing, but my faves are the coffee caramel, raspberry truffle, Gianduja, and soft chocolate caramel.
Dark salted Caramels, $5.95: Oh shiz, do I even need to say anything about these? YUM. Orange, ginger, almond, hazelnut + fancy salt + chocolate = not sharing. Moving on.
Treasure Bar – Eli’s Earth, $2.29: These chocolate bars rival Go Max Go (sorry to keep comparing them, but they both excel at vegan “milk” chocolate). This bar is my home dog. It has a solid layer of crunchy peanut butter topped with caramel, and it’s coated in creamy vegan milk chocolate. That description actually does it zero justice. Buy this bar (make sure you’re far away from any people when you eat it, as you will not wanna share this one), stuff it in your face (or daintily nibble at it), and get back to me. I ate this days ago, and I still fantasize about it before I go to bed every night.
The only downside to Sjaak’s awesome chocolates is that they aren’t making my ass any smaller… but hey, I can definitely live with that.
Have you tried any of these vegan chocolates? Are you as obsessed as I am?
Ever since I birthed a Baby Moose (that’s Dylan’s nickname), I’ve got serious momdar! I see mom-stype stuff (mom jeans EXCLUDED), and I’m like, I need these things! I recently acquired some mama goodies from Natural Life, and I wanted to share them with you. They are pompom-y and adorbs! Be jelly or hook yourself up… or better yet, hook yo’ mama up ’cause Mother’s Day is just around the corner!
“Home Is Where Your Mom Is” linen hand towel, $15: I think this is so sweet! I also love that it has a sun on it (my name is Sunny and I’m a mama—you see how that works?).
Tie-dye pompom scarf, $23: It’s an artsy-fartsy, hippie dippy, cute and cozy, vegan, baby-friendly (Baby Moose LOVES the pretty colors and pompoms!) accessory.
I’m keeping my momdar switched on (like I can control that shite!), so if I see some other rad goodies that would make awesome Mother’s Day gifts, I’ll keep you posted (I’m thinking about doing a series on gift ideas—stay tuned).
What are you getting your momsies (or yourself) this Mother’s Day?